IDES3000 Integrated Design Studio 3--Complex
- 12 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- This unit proactively responds to the design challenges associated with the existing and emerging economic, technical and social issues confronting the contemporary city. While the studio involves speculative explorations, these are grounded in interdisciplinary analysis of the urban system(s). The content to be explored includes urban structure, urban form infrastructural and environmental systems. Students develop a critical understanding of contemporary and emerging urban challenges; the ability to analyse urban systems in an integrated manner; an understanding of the influence of technical change on the urban environment; and an appreciation of the cultural setting for urban innovation.
- Students are able to (1) exercise critical judgement and utilise speculation, iteration and reflection in the creation of integrated design solutions at a complex scale and at a sophisticated level of resolution; (2) incorporate technical and environmental areas of study into the urban design/infrastructure process; (3) acknowledge social and ethical responsibilities associated with urban and integrated design proposals; and (4) establish a broad understanding of urban research methodologies and competency in both verbal and visual communication.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) interim assessment: preliminary analytical exploration and strategy development (group work) and (2) final folio: development of aspects of the strategy (individual folio). Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the final folio: development of aspects of the strategy (individual folio) component.
Supplementary assessment is available in this unit for those students who obtain a mark of at least 45 overall provided they have also obtained a mark of at least 45 in a specified component of the unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Luke Davey
- Unit rules
- IDES2040 Future Making
IDES2000 Integrated Design Studio 2—Making (formerly IDES2000 Integrated Design Studio 1—Small)
ARLA2001 Design Studio
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):(1) Field trips within the metropolitan area, travel and food only (estimated cost - $10-$50)
(2) Field trips outside the metropolitan area (estimated cost - $50-$250).
- Contact hours
- studio: at least 6 hours per week
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.