IMED1001 Form and Function
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the Medical Sciences; Integrated Medical Sciences and Clinical Practice major sequences
- Level 1 core unit in the Biomedical specialisation in the Engineering Science major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit are Life and Health Sciences, Mathematical and Physical Sciences
- Category B broadening unit for students
- This unit discusses the human body plan, body organisation and basic histology. Basic physiology, cell communication and cell biology are presented in an integrated fashion.
- Students are able to (1) describe and recognise structural components of the body in gross anatomical terms; (2) describe the organisational levels in the structure of the human body, from cells to organ systems; (3) understand the basic structure and function of primary tissues—epithelium, connective tissue, muscle and nervous tissue; (4) describe the general principles of structure and functions of the skeleton, joints and muscles; (5) describe the overall organisation of the nervous system; (6) discuss skeletal tissue structure and function at the gross and microscopic level; (7) define the basics of the cardiovascular system, blood and lymphatics; (8) describe skin and soft tissue histology and anatomy; (9) describe the overall body plan and correlate it with early development; (10) describe the basic human body plan in early development and embryogenesis; (11) discuss human body physiology and homeostasis; (12) describe cell membrane function and transport processes; (13) appreciate the importance of electrophysiology and sensory transduction; (14) define sensory processing and somatosensation; (15) understand basic muscle function and contractility; (16) discuss the physiology of the autonomic nervous system; and (17) discuss blood components and physiology.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) final examination and (2) in-semester tests. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Robert White
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Medical Sciences (MEDSC) major
the Engineering Science (Biomedical Engineering) (ENGSC) major
Approved quota: 400—a place in the unit is determined on a first-come, first-served basis. Selection is based on time of enrolment with first places given to those who select this as a degree-specific major; second to those who select the major as a second major. Any remaining places are given to those students according to when they enrol until all places are filled.
- Contact hours
- lectures: 3 hours per week; practical sessions/labs: 12 hours per semester
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.