There are now 3 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Units available in Online Restricted mode have been adapted for online study only for those students who require the unit to complete their studies and who are unable to attend campus owing to exceptional circumstances beyond their control. To be enrolled in a unit in Online Restricted mode, students should contact their Student Advising Office through askUWA
Click on an offering mode for more details.
In this unit students finalise and report on the research that was planned in the unit “Research Proposal in Astronomy and Astrophysics”, and then executed in the units “Research Project Parts 1 – 4 “. Students will continue to receive formative feedback during this unit, and will learn the discourse conventions of astronomy and astrophysics as they prepare an oral and written report on their research. The oral report will be given as a seminar followed by questions before an audience of astrophysicists, and feedback from the seminar may help in finalising the written research dissertation. At the conclusion of the unit a summative assessment will be provided based on the student's demonstrated research skills, their oral presentation and their written research dissertation.
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
Students are able to (1) execute a research plan, demonstrating a level of independence and initiative appropriate for a junior researcher in astronomy and astrophysics.; (2) identify research problems and create solutions, or find answers, using techniques (such as experimental, analytical, computational, and/or statistical techniques) that are relevant to astronomy and astrophysics.; (3) evaluate their research outcomes and identify possible areas of future investigation.; (4) report on their research in a written dissertation, using the discourse conventions of astronomy and astrophysics.; and (5) report and defend their research in an oral seminar before an audience of expert astronomers and astrophysicists..
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) oral seminar; (2) research assessment; and (3) dissertation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Mr Matthew Young
- Unit rules
- Enrolment in theCM015 Bachelor of Science [Frontier Physics] and Master of Physicsand Enrolment (other than course) in the SP-ASTPH Astronomy and Astrophysics specialisation and completion of the core units in the Physics major or equivalent
or the 53560 Master of Physics
and Successful completion ofPHYS5562 Research Proposal in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- PHYS5304 Physics Research Project Part 4
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.