SSEH1104 Active Leadership 1: Developing Leadership Skills
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Life and Health Sciences
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- This unit provides students with a unique opportunity to investigate the attributes of effective leadership through experiential learning. Students examine their own potential for leadership through an assisted process, and are exposed to leadership theories and research to enable critical engagement with the concept of leadership. The unit also explores leadership within teams and students explore how leadership is related to interpersonal behaviour, communication, and the capacity to motivate others and to self-manage. A variety of practical opportunities in sport and recreational pursuits such as fitness training, modified team sports, sailing, mountain biking, kayaking and trekking, allow students to practise their leadership skills.
- Students are able to (1) work within a team environment to achieve common goals; (2) identify the key attributes and skills needed to be an effective leader; (3) understand and apply several leadership theories and perspectives in a variety of sport and recreation activities; (4) develop the capacity to analyse different contexts and to understand which leadership styles are most effective in particular contexts; and (5) develop the capacity to reflect critically on and improve their own personal leadership understanding, experience, insights and goals.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) scope and extent of participation in sport and recreation activities throughout the unit; (2) assignment and peer assessment; and (3) final examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Michael Rosenberg
- Unit rules
Approved quota: 180 (Semester One & Two); 60 (2018/19 Summer School, Crawley Campus)—first come, first served basis
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):Sailing (estimated cost - 150).
- Contact hours
- online lectures/seminars/pracs: 2 hours per fortnight; planning and execution of leadership experience: 30 hours
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Non-standard teaching period [TS-SUMM-G_2019]
- For students that elect to complete the sailing activity, there is an associated cost of $150, payable by the student.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.