SSEH5020 Literature Review and Research Proposal
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- In this unit students develop a research proposal with literature review with the focus on developing the rationale to formulate a research question in a relevant field of science. Students are guided by their research supervisor in planning their research project, and developing a detailed project proposal that is based on a thorough review of the current literature. Students are expected to communicate this in written and spoken form.
- Students are able to (1) use the literature to gain an understanding of a field of knowledge, identify gaps in current knowledge and use this to develop a research program in their field of study; (2) analyse a problem conceptually and, through logical argument, reduce its complexity to a number of simpler elements; (3) develop plausible and testable hypothesis, research questions, models and/or ideas about relationships between important elements that would lead to a resolution of the problem; (4) design methods to examine, through some combination of experiments, literature, models and observations, and discuss the relationships between the important elements; and (5) articulate the above abilities in both written and oral forms at a high level.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) a proposal seminar (pass/fail) and (2) a research proposal with literature review—two assessors (100 per cent). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Tim Ackland
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Master of Exercise Science (52510)
the Master of Work Health and Safety (74530)
(a) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3 units in a relevant undergraduate major;
(b) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3, 4 and 5 units completed within the course. An approved supervisor must have confirmed their willingness and availability to supervise the research project.
- SSEH5021 Sport Science Exercise and Health Research Project Part 1
- Contact hours
- 1 hour weekly meetings with supervisor
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Semester 2_2019 [SEM-2_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.