SSEH5020 Literature Review and Research Proposal
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- In this unit students develop a research proposal with literature review with the focus on developing the rationale to formulate a research question in a relevant field of science. Students are guided by their research supervisor in planning their research project, and developing a detailed project proposal that is based on a thorough review of the current literature. Students are expected to communicate this in written and spoken form.
- Students are able to (1) use the literature to gain an understanding of a field of knowledge, identify gaps in current knowledge and use this to develop a research program in their field of study; (2) analyse a problem conceptually and, through logical argument, reduce its complexity to a number of simpler elements; (3) develop plausible and testable hypothesis, research questions, models and/or ideas about relationships between important elements that would lead to a resolution of the problem; (4) design methods to examine, through some combination of experiments, literature, models and observations, and discuss the relationships between the important elements; and (5) articulate the above abilities in both written and oral forms at a high level.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) a proposal seminar (pass/fail) and (2) a research proposal with literature review—two assessors (100 per cent). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Tim Ackland
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Master of Exercise Science (52510) or the Master of Work Health and Safety (74530) and (a) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3 units in a relevant undergraduate major; or (b) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3, 4 and 5 units completed within the course. An approved supervisor must have confirmed their willingness and availability to supervise the research project.
- SSEH5021 Sport Science Exercise and Health Research Project Part 1
- Contact hours
- 1 hour weekly meetings with supervisor
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus. Copies of textbooks and other readings will be made available for students to access from the Library, online wherever possible as well as in print.