SSEH5464 Physical Education Curriculum I
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit develops the skills necessary to teach Health and Physical Education in the secondary school. It focuses on practical and theoretical skills with an emphasis on effective and ineffective behaviours. The unit has a lecture, tutorial and practical format. Major areas covered include the development of organisational, personal, planning and management skills, and the formation of a philosophy towards the teaching of Health and Physical Education in a school setting.
- Students are able to (1) display an awareness of the developmental needs and interests of adolescent learners in Health and Physical Education; (2) develop an understanding of different orientations and theoretical frameworks of the subject; (3) demonstrate a repertoire of teaching and learning strategies relevant to the secondary Health and Physical Education curriculum; (4) display a detailed understanding of the current Western Australian Health and Physical Education Curriculum plan; (5) evaluate various instructional sequences (lesson plans and programs) for effective and engaging learning; (6) evaluate instructional resources for secondary Health and Physical Education, including information and communication technology (ICT) and other educational technologies; (7) acquire an understanding of effective assessment and evaluation processes practice in Health and Physical Education; (8) develop an awareness of diverse student learning needs through the planning of differentiated learning and the selection of differentiated resources; and (9) demonstrate a developing proficiency in engaging students from diverse social and cultural contexts and with diverse literacy and numeracy capabilities..
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) lesson planning - peer teaching, lesson planning and development; (2) research report on ALT in Physical Education classes; and (3) curriculum readings and class quizzes. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Martin Anderson
- Unit rules
- Contact hours
- lectures: 60 hours; tutorials: as arranged
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- Students doing this unit must also take SSEH5474 Physical Education Curriculum II in semester two.
SSEH5464/SSEH5474 Physical Education Curriculum Manual
SSEH5464/SSEH5474 Physical Education Curriculum Readings
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.