GRMN1401 German Beginners 1
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Multi-mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Multi-mode
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the GRMNB German Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit offers an introduction to German grammar and vocabulary to enable students to communicate orally and in writing in simple situations. It develops cultural and linguistic awareness and focuses on contemporary spoken and written language used in German-speaking countries, using authentic texts to introduce students to German culture and society.
Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Gemeinsamer Europaischer Referenzrahmen).
The unit leads to GRMN1402 German Studies 2. Together, GRMN1401 and GRMN1402 provide access to Level 2 and 3 German units, which not only increase language competency but offer the opportunity to further engage with German history and culture (including literature, film, music and science) and to take advantage of a range of exchange possibilities, including our short-term Stuttgart Winter University program.
- Students are able to (1) develop elementary skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in the German language; (2) be familiar with sociolinguistic conventions in German; (3) have an elementary knowledge of culture and society in German-speaking countries; (4) develop independent learning skills and interpersonal skills; and (5) have an increased awareness of language and language use, in both German and English.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) short tests; (2) oral tasks; and (3) an end-of-semester examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Kati Tonkin
- Unit rules
- WACE German: GER2A/2B
higher, GRMN1101 German Beginners I
- Contact hours
- This content in this unit is delivered in a blended mode. Each week students work through one hour of online material (approx.) and attend three hours of language classes (1 x 1-hour language class beginning in week 2 and 1 x 2-hour language class beginning in week 1). There is a one-off face-to-face lecture in week 1.
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
Students do not need to purchase any texts for this unit. All materials will be provided via the LMS.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.