There are now 3 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Units available in Online Restricted mode have been adapted for online study only for those students who require the unit to complete their studies and who are unable to attend campus owing to exceptional circumstances beyond their control. To be enrolled in a unit in Online Restricted mode, students should contact their Student Advising Office through askUWA
Click on an offering mode for more details.
This unit follows on from CHIN1402 Chinese 2 and functions as a bridging unit for the beginners' major (MJD-CHNSB), providing the foundation for further developing linguistic and cultural competency. The unit continues to develop the four language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and increases students' effective communication skills to meet routine practical and social demands that are relevant to them at tertiary level. Special emphasis is placed on consolidating and expanding student knowledge and recognition of Chinese characters. The unit also equips students with the ability to use dictionaries and read new materials in the target language.
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the CHNSB Chinese Studies major sequence
- Level 2 elective
Students are able to (1) converse in spoken and written form about everyday topics at lower intermediate level; (2) develop a sound understanding of the construction of Chinese characters and grammar; (3) master the most commonly used Chinese characters and compose informative sentences and passages; and (4) achieve reasonable understanding of successful second language acquisition and apply research skills which allow independent learning.
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) tests; and (3) assignments. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Huilin Sun
- Unit rules
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- This unit is for beginners.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.