CHIN3409 Chinese 9: Understanding the Chinese State
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the CHNSA Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This unit is designed to enhance students' Chinese academic language skills and their understanding on the important aspects of the Chinese state through the reading of relevant academic and media publications, and through the discussions and debates both in and beyond the classroom. The unit is designed for students whose Chinese language skills are at the level of native Chinese speakers, and it is taught in Chinese only.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate a competent language ability and cultural awareness to move between the Chinese- and English- speaking worlds; (2) identify, describe and interpret the development of the politics and international relations in contemporary China; (3) critically assess the accuracy, comprehensiveness and validity of the academic and media publications regarding the recent developments of the
Chinese state; (4) demonstrate the ability to present research findings to the general public in the Chinese-speaking world in oral and written forms; and (5) write according to the academic conventions in Chinese.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation ; (2) written and oral assignments; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Yu Tao
- Unit rules
- CHIN2408 Chinese 8
CHIN3307 Chinese Specialist I
Approved quota: 150—we would like to guarantee places in the units for students who are studying the Chinese major so it will not affect the units as cores for the major'.
- Contact hours
- Up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- Native Chinese speakers can enrol in this unit without having previously completed a Chinese language unit at this university. If you are a native Chinese speaker, please contact your relevant student office to enrol.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.