DENT4236 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 6
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit will provide knowledge and clinical skills to perform comprehensive oral clinical examinations in the areas of Cariology, Endodontics, Prosthodontics and Periodontics and learn to formulate treatment plans. Students will be introduced to the concepts of research design and methodology and will select and design a clinical or laboratory research project proposal, literature review and ethics proposal.
- Students are able to (1) module 1 - general dental practice II - Perform a comprehensive oral clinical examination; (2) module 1 - general dental practice II - Establish a correct diagnosis and formulate proper treatment planning for restoring oral functions and communicate it to the patient; (3) module 1 - general dental practice II - Provide appropriate clinical periodontic, endodontic treatment and restore oral functions using direct and indirect single-tooth restorations; (4) module 2 - scholarly activities I - Describe and discuss the various study designs in research and their strengths and weaknesses; and (5) module 2 - scholarly activities I -Design a clinical, laboratory or public health research project and produce the research proposal and the documentation required for its assessment.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) module 2 - Scholarly Activities I -assignment
SLO 4,5; (2) module 1 General Dental Practice II clinical treatment planning
SLO 3; and (3) module 1 General Dental Practice II and Module 2 Scholarly Activities I - clinical assessment (Failed component)
SLO 1,2,3,4,5. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the module 1 General Dental Practice II and Module 2 Scholarly Activities I - clinical assessment (Failed component)
SLO 1,2,3,4,5 component.
Supplementary assessment is available in this unit. Supplementary assessment is available for students currently enrolled in the unit who obtain a mark of 45 to 49 overall and a mark of at least 45 in any Failed Component(s)
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Amr Fawzy
- Unit rules
- DENT4221 Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences 1, DENT4231 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 1, DENT4232 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 2
DENT4233 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 3
- DENT4211 Developmental and behavioural sciences 1
DENT4234 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 4
DENT4235 Restorative and Rehabilitative Sciences 5
Approved quota: 56—50 domestic, 6 international
50 domestic includes high academic achievement direct pathway 24 places, indigenous entry, rural 3 places and standard pathway graduate applicants 20.
- Contact hours
- Lecture slot 1 hr
Clinic slot 3 hr
Practical slot 3 hr
- Unit Outline
- Non-standard teaching period [TS-B-4_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.