DENT6813 Oral Medicine Theory I Part 1
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 Oral Health Care Centre of WA (OHCWA) Face to face Semester 2 Oral Health Care Centre of WA (OHCWA) Face to face
- This is the first year theory unit in Oral Medicine in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry course. The unit is taken over two semesters and parts 1 and 2 must be completed to fulfill the requirements of the unit. Topics are covered via seminars and literature reviews, at a basic level during the early stages of the course and with increasing complexity throughout the course. The material covered depends on the needs of the individual student, the work previously performed in the course, the clinical needs of patients being treated by the student, and the relevance to current literature in oral medicine.
- Students are able to (1) evaluate, synthesise and apply the literature relevant to oral medicine; (2) demonstrate advanced problem solving and diagnostic skills; (3) demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of oral medicine through discussion, interpretation and evaluation in written and oral presentations; (4) interpret original research; (5) define and demonstrate the responsibility of being a practitioner in oral medicine; (6) provide clinical leadership; and (7) use effective communication skills with colleagues, patients and the broader community.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) presentations (continuous assessment); (2) clinical examination with viva voce; and (3) written examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Maryam Jessri
- Unit rules
- a Bachelor of Dental Science of this University
equivalent; a Pass in the primary examinations of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons
equivalent; and at least two years' full-time equivalent experience in general dental practice
- Students are required to be registered with the Dental Board of Australia for the duration of the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (90840).
- Contact hours
- seminars: 4 hours per week (average)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology: Elsevier
Oral Oncology: Elsevier
Oral Diseases: John Wiley & Sons
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.