EDUC5471 Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Curriculum II
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit gives an overview of Languages Other Than English (LOTE) in the secondary school curriculum. Principles of, and developments in, language teaching and learning will be discussed, along with the development of micro and macro skills in listening and speaking. This unit also covers the use of teaching aids, including the use of information and communication technology (ICT) resources, text evaluation, student assessment, lesson planning and teaching strategies. Students also reflect on their first school experience through an analysis of lesson segments.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an awareness of the developmental and diverse learning needs of adolescent learners in LOTE; (2) display a repertoire of teaching and learning strategies relevant to the secondary LOTE curriculum; (3) display a detailed understanding of the current Western Australian LOTE senior curriculum; (4) plan and evaluate varied instruction for effective and engaging learning; (5) critically evaluate and develop instructional resources for secondary LOTE, including a range of educational technologies and enhance approaches to learning; (6) apply a range of assessment and evaluation processes and strategies; (7) critically and positively reflect upon own teaching practice; and (8) research established and new theories of learning and best practice as a way to improve own performance.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) creation of resource file; (2) assessment and moderation task; and (3) analysis of teaching. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the creation of resource file, assessment and moderation task, and analysis of teaching components.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Angela Evangelinou-Yiannakis
- Unit rules
- EDUC5461 Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Curriculum I; EDUC5535 Professional Practice A Secondary ; and enrolment in the Graduate Diploma in Education
Master of Teaching Secondary
- Advisable prior study:
- at least six units in one of the language subjects taught in schools such as Japanese, French, German, Indonesian
Italian, with at least two units at Level 3
- Contact hours
- total workload: 150 hours; contact hours: 30 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.