FREN1401 French Studies 1
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the FRNHB French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit offers an introduction to French grammar and vocabulary to allow students to communicate orally and in writing in simple situations. It develops cultural and linguistic awareness and focuses on contemporary spoken and written language used in France and other French-speaking countries.Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
This unit leads to FREN1402 French Studies 2. Together, FREN1401 and FREN1402 provide access to Level 2 and Level 3 French units, which not only increase language competency but offer the opportunity to further engage with French history and culture, including literature, film and contemporary society, and to take advantage of a range of exchange opportunities, including short-term stays in Noumea or Paris.
- Students are able to (1) develop elementary skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in the French language; (2) be familiar with sociolinguistic conventions in French; (3) have an elementary knowledge of culture and society in French-speaking countries; (4) develop independent learning skills and interpersonal skills; and (5) have an increased awareness of language and language use in both French and English.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in-class and online exercises and (2) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Bonnie Thomas (Semester 1) and Paul Gibbard (Semester 2)
- Unit rules
- WACE French FRE 2A/2B
higher; FREN1101 French Beginners I
- Contact hours
- lectures: 1 x 1 hour per week (over 12 weeks); language classes: 3 x 1 hour per week (over 12 weeks) (the language classes involve a mix of formal instruction by the tutor, class discussions and group and pair work on linguistic and cultural issues)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- This unit is designed for students who have no previous knowledge or only a slight knowledge of French. Students who have studied French to WACE level or its equivalent cannot be admitted and should consult the unit coordinator regarding the appropriate unit for enrolment. Students with some knowledge of the language should consult the Convener of French.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.