GENG5512 Engineering Research Project Part 2
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit is taken over two successive semesters and parts 1 and 2 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the unit. Students can commence the unit in either semester 1 or semester 2. The academic objectives of the project are to improve students' understanding of the research process and to develop their capability to conduct independent research. Students learn about recent advances and gain in-depth technical competence in at least one specialist area of their discipline, apply the basic elements of research design to investigate a theory or hypothesis, and appreciate how research skills support lifelong learning. Students are required to communicate their findings to technical and non-technical audiences using a range of media. They are also exposed to the University's research culture and opportunities to pursue further study. Students may choose a project from a list of advertised topics, negotiate a topic with an academic supervisor, or apply for an industry Co-operative Education for Enterprise Development (CEED) project.
- Students are able to (1) develop a research question and formulate a framework to answer the question; (2) practise appropriate methodology to research an engineering problem or test a hypothesis or theory; (3) demonstrate mastery of disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge and skills; (4) apply appropriate technical tools to investigate a research problem; (5) evaluate and synthesise results and draw appropriate conclusions; (6) locate and critically evaluate relevant literature and other sources of information; (7) communicate clearly, effectively and appropriately using written, oral and visual means in a range of contexts; (8) plan and manage a project to meet deadlines; (9) demonstrate initiative, creativity and independence; and (10) conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) project proposal; (2) project progress and review; (3) seminar and abstract; (4) final report; and (5) professional conduct. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Cosimo Faiello
- Unit rules
- GENG5511 Engineering Research Project Part 1
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.