ITAL1402 Italian Studies 2
- 6 points
(see Summer Timetable)
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Summer teaching period||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||Albany||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the ITLNB Italian Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit continues the introduction to Italian language and culture provided in ITAL1401 Italian Studies 1. Students are taught to speak, understand, read and write contemporary Italian and study aspects of contemporary Italian culture in Italy and in countries of Italian migration. The unit uses communicative and natural learning methodologies, and authentic print and multimedia texts. Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Quadro Comune Europeo di Riferimento per le Lingue).
The unit leads to ITAL2403 Italian Studies 3. Level 2 and 3 Italian units not only increase language competency but offer the opportunity to further engage with Italian culture and history (including linguistics, literature and film) and to take advantage of a range of exchange possibilities, including our short-term Bergamo Summer School.
- Students are able to (1) further develop elementary skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in the Italian language; (2) be familiar with a broader range of sociolinguistic conventions in Italian; (3) have an increased knowledge of culture and society in Italian-speaking countries; (4) further develop independent learning skills and develop interpersonal skills; and (5) have an increased awareness of language and language use, in both Italian and in English.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in-class and on-line test; (2) oral activities; and (3) online and in-class engagement. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Simon Tebbitt
- Unit rules
- ITAL1401 Italian Studies 1
ITAL1101 Italian Beginners 1
- ITAL1102 Italian Beginners II
- Contact hours
- Language classes: 3 hours per week (over 12 weeks, involves a mix of formal instruction by the tutor, class discussions, group and pair work on linguistic and cultural issues, and presentations); summer: taught intensively over 4 weeks
- Unit Outline
- Non-standard teaching period [TS-SUMM-G_2019]
- Please note that during the summer 2017 delivery, students undertake the following assessment items: (1) in-class and on-line test (60 per cent); (2) oral activities (20 per cent); and (3) online and in-class engagement (20 per cent).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.