PAED5702 Paediatric Sleep Science
- 6 points
|Not available in 2021||Online||Online|
- This unit includes six modules: Module 1—history, anatomy, neurobiology of sleep; Module 2—pathophysiology of paediatric sleep disorders; Module 3—performing paediatric sleep studies (technology); Module 4—running a paediatric sleep laboratory; Module 5—diagnosis and treatment of paediatric sleep disorders; and Module 6—scoring and staging paediatric sleep studies.
- This unit is separated into six modules, each configured to deliver specific competencies to the student. Learning outcomes for each module is continually assessed. A continuous assessment model is utilised which requires students to complete a multiple-choice examination on completion of each of the six modules. Each quiz is worth 10 per cent. These are automatically marked with immediate feedback given to the student in order to develop skills of independent learning by the students. A final 90-minute online examination is administered on completion of Module 6. This examination consists of multiple-choice and short written answer tests worth 40 per cent of the total grade.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Clinical Professor Stephen Stick and Dr Jennifer Maul
- Unit rules
- ANHB5431 Fundamentals of Sleep Technology (formerly ANHB8431 Fundamentals of Sleep Technology), ANHB5432 Fundamentals of Sleep Biology (formerly ANHB8432 Fundamentals of Sleep Biology), ANHB5433 Sleep Technology in Practice (formerly ANHB8433 Sleep Technology in Practice), and ANHB5434 Sleep Biology in Practice (formerly ANHB8434 Sleep Biology in Practice)
- ANHB5457 Advanced Competencies in Sleep Science
- PAED5705 Physiology of Sleep Responses (formerly PAED8705 Physiology of Sleep Responses), PAED5706 Methods in Sleep Measurement (formerly PAED8706 Methods in Sleep Measurement), PAED5707 Clinical Applications of Sleep Responses (formerly PAED8707 Clinical Applications of Sleep Responses), and PAED5708 Conducting Sleep Studies (formerly PAED8708 Conducting Sleep Studies)
|Approved quota: 10|
- Contact hours
- no formal contact as this is an online unit. Students are able to seek assistance by email or phone contact. Students are required to spend approximately 40 hours working through the online learning modules, readings and quizzes. Some additional study time is recommended.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus. Copies of textbooks and other readings will be made available for students to access from the Library, online wherever possible as well as in print.
- If this unit is offered as on-campus face-to-face study only, students who are presently unable to enter Western Australia and whose studies would be delayed by an inability to complete this unit, should contact the unit coordinator (details given on this page) to ascertain, on an individual case-by-case basis, if alternate arrangements can be made to support their study in this unit.