SSEH5691 Industry Practicum I
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Multi-mode|
- This unit involves clinical placement in an exercise physiology professional setting, under the supervision of an academic staff member or designate, who also holds the required industry certification and experience.
Students undertake this unit as part of the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology in order to meet accreditation requirements , and ensure industry experience and competence.
Additionally, this unit covers the fundamental training and industry requirements that students require prior to undertaking clinical placements in order to ensure safe and ethical practice.
- Students are able to (1) acquire knowledge of the industry code of conduct and ethics, legislation and professional roles; (2) demonstrate understanding of evidence-based practice in clinical decision making; (3) demonstrate knowledge of safe exercise practice including medications and delivering treatment plans; and (4) explain, advise, provide information and educate clients in a clinical setting.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) pre-placement competency assessments and (2) clinical practice skills portfolio. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the pre-placement competency assessments and clinical practice skills portfolio components.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Bonnie Furzer
- Unit rules
- Enrolment in the Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (73520) and have a course plan developed including enrolment in this unit.
- Contact hours
- Weekly workshops will be conducted on campus incorporating face-to-face learning linked with preparation for clinical practice and work integrated learning. Additional content will be delivered online via online platforms.
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- Industry placements will be discussed with each student at the beginning of semester prior to allocation. There are some additional requirements needed in preparation for clinical placement which will be communicated to enrolled students via the UWA student email address.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus. Copies of textbooks and other readings will be made available for students to access from the Library, online wherever possible as well as in print.