SWSP5309 Field Education 1: First Placement
- 12 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit involves a full-time 13-week placement in a human services agency in Perth and/or in Country locations. Students work within a field practice syllabus and are required to attend an orientation day and integration days. Students may also be required to attend UWA supervision sessions. Students provide a critical reflection in relation to their placement and complete the Learning Development Agreement based on their field placement.
- Students are able to (1) understand the contextual delivery of selected social services; (2) identify the relevant social work knowledge, skills and values in the provision of social services; (3) integrate their experiences with relevant concepts and theories; and (4) identify the personal, the professional and the organisational levels of social work practice.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: this field placement is pass or fail. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Trish Langdon
- Unit rules
- SWSP5306 Indigenous People and Social Work (formerly SWSP8306 Indigenous People and Social Work); SWSP5630 Introduction to Psychosocial Theory (formerly SWSP8630 Developmental Practice); SWSP5301 Social Work Knowledge, Theory and Values (formerly SWSP8301 Social Work Knowledge, Theory and Values);
SWSP5631 Introduction to Social Work Methods (formerly SWSP8631 Introduction to Social Work Methods)
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):(1) National Police Clearance & Criminal Record Screening (estimated cost - $61)
(2) Working with Children Check (estimated cost - $11)
(3) Infection Control & MRSA Declaration (estimated cost - $57)
(4) Optional rural placement travel costs (estimated cost - Variable).
- Contact hours
- 440 hours over 13 weeks full-time
- Unit Outline
- Non-standard teaching period [TS-J-3_2019]
Non-standard teaching period [TS-J-7_2019]
- This unit does not fall into the standard University semesters and thus has non-standard withdrawal and census deadlines. Contact Student Administration for more information. Students are required to travel as part of their field placement. This unit is full-time over a 13 week field placement.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.