SSEH3375 Psychology of Sport
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the Exercise and Health major sequence
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit introduces students to (1) concepts relating to anxiety, stress, and coping in sport; (2) different perspectives on what makes up someone's ‘personality', and how personality is relevant in sport and exercise; (3) information about the nature and scope of self-perceptions in sport and exercise; (4) work on the relationship between arousal and performance; (5) mental toughness, choking, and resilience in sport; (6) the nature of motivation and confidence in sport and exercise; (7) issues related to self-control and self-regulation; and (8) psychological concerns and problems associated with sport and exercise involvement.
Experiences in data collection, data analysis, and personal reflection are used to supplement lecture material.
- Students are able to (1) understand concepts and apply knowledge related to the psychology of behaviour in sport and exercise settings and (2) develop practical skills related to data collection, data analysis and scientific report writing.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) an examination component (comprising a mid-semester examination and a final examination); (2) a group-based semester project (journal article); and (3) an individual reflective essay. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Ben Jackson
- Unit rules
- SSEH2270 Psychosocial Aspects of Sport, Exercise and Health;
a Level 2 PSYC unit; for pre-2012 courses: none
- Advisable prior study:
- Level 1 unit in psychology, sociology
- SSEH5475 Advanced Psychology of Sport (formerly HMES8475 Advanced Psychology of Sport)
- Contact hours
- lectures/tutorials: 3 hours per week; project work: approximately 45 hours
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.