Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The http://handbooks.uwa.edu.au/postgraduate/student-procedures'>student procedures apply, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
2.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
English Language competency requirements
3. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the http://www.governance.uwa.edu.au/procedures/policies/policies-and-procedures?method=document&id=UP16/5'>University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
4. To be considered for admission to this course an applicant must have—met the requirements set out in Doctor of Philosophy Rule 2 except that both the Board of the Graduate Research School (the Board) and the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (the Faculty) will decide who is eligible.
Admission ranking and selection
Articulations and exit awards
- 01810/52520 Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Infectious Diseases (72 points)
- 52530 Master of Infectious Diseases (96 points)
(2) Units must be selected in accordance with the course structure, as set out in these rules.
9. A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in Rule 8.
10. Unless the Faculty and the Board approve otherwise in recognition of exceptional circumstances, students who fail to make satisfactory progress under Rule 8 are assigned a progress status of 'Excluded'.
11. A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of Rule 9 is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation', unless they have been assigned a progress status of 'Suspended' or 'Excluded' for failure to meet other satisfactory progress requirements in Rule 8.
Award with distinction
MICR5829 Foundations of Infectious Diseases
MICR5842 Principles of Infection and Immunity
MICR5830 Principles of Mycology and Parasitology
MICR5846 Molecular and Cellular Microbiology Part 2; or
Confirmation of candidature
14. Doctor of Philosophy Rule 61 applies to confirmation of candidature.
Submission of research proposal and thesis
15.(1) A student must submit a full research proposal to the Board no later than 31 October in the year of their commencement of candidature if enrolled full-time or within nine months of their date of commencement if enrolled part-time.
16. Unless the Faculty on the recommendation of the Head of the School of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine approves otherwise, students must complete the units required under Rule 3 within four calendar years from the date of first enrolment in the combined course.
Qualification for award
17. A student who successfully completes the units required under Rule 7 and completes the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy will qualify for the degrees of Master of Infectious Diseases and Doctor of Philosophy.