PODI6541 External Clinical Podiatry Practicum I
- 12 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
- The external clinical podiatry practicum units are designed to offer increasingly advanced training in the management of the high-risk foot and/or elective foot surgery and to broaden the student's clinical experiences. Rotations may be arranged in one or more teaching hospitals, or in approved local or interstate podiatry practices or at international teaching venues. Students treat patients under clinical supervision in various hospital or private clinics; develop an appreciation of the interdisciplinary nature of patient care; and acquire supervised clinical experience working with individual patients and within small groups. They are expected to attend rotations in relevant hospital departments such as orthopaedic, vascular surgery, endocrinology, medical imaging, anaesthesia, pain management, rheumatology, plastic surgery and infectious diseases.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an understanding of the roles of other health care practitioners and of the need for interdisciplinary patient management; (2) demonstrate effective patient and inter-professional communication; (3) demonstrate an increased level of knowledge of rheumatological, neurological and diabetic related foot conditions and their management; and (4) demonstrate an understanding of and competency in performing elective and reconstructive podiatric surgical procedures.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) supervisor reports (in-training assessment/s); (2) written assessment/s; and (3) written examination/s. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Burke Hugo
- Unit rules
- successful completion of DPS Group A units PODI5511 Advanced Podiatric Medicine I, PODI5512 Advanced Podiatric Medicine II , PODI5513 Advanced Podiatric Surgery, PODI5514 Podiatric Medicine Practicum, PODI5515 Podiatric Surgery Practicum, PUBH4401 Biostatistics I, PUBH5769 Biostatistics II
- Contact hours
- clinical placement: 14 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Non-standard teaching period [TS-E-5A-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.